Château du Champ de Bataille was built during the reign of Louis XIV. This masterpiece of French Baroque architecture is the private home of the French decorator Jacques Garcia, located one hour from Paris.
In 1651, Alexandre de Crequi after having been spoiled by Cardinal Mazarin in the King’s court, decided to retreat in a Palazzo built by the same architect and gardener as Château de Versailles: Le Vau & Le Nôtre.
Due to the vast and perfect proportions of the building, Mr. Jacques Garcia decided to acquire the domain in 1992. The feeling of power influenced the decor.
The interior leads to the palatial Grand Appartement: the volume of the rooms allowed Mr. Garcia to present his unique collection of furniture, carpets and tapestries; most of the pieces come from the royal inventory which was scattered during the French Revolution. It is the largest private collection in a private home.
The same standards of greatness inspired the decorator to recreate the 40 acres of antique gardens using the timeless guidelines of Roman and Classical gardens. However, the spirit is contemporary. It is the most extensive private garden in France and considered as the most beautiful one today.
At Champ de Bataille, interior and exterior decors offer the guests this forgotten atmosphere of magnificence.
There, he fell under the tutelage of L’Eplattenier, whom Le Corbusier called “my master” and later referred to him as his only teacher. L’Eplattenier taught Le Corbusier art history, drawing and the naturalist aesthetics of art nouveau. Perhaps because of his extended studies in art, Corbusier soon abandoned watchmaking and continued his studies in art and decoration, intending to become a painter. L’Eplattenier insisted that his pupil also study architecture, and he arranged for his first commissions working on local projects.
After designing his first house, in 1907, at age 20, Le Corbusier took trips through central Europe and the Mediterranean, including Italy, Vienna, Munich and Paris. His travels included apprenticeships with various architects, most significantly with structural rationalist Auguste Perret, a pioneer of reinforced concrete construction, and later with renowned architect Peter Behrens, with whom Le Corbusier worked from October 1910 to March 1911, near Berlin.
Le Corbusier began to envisage buildings designed from these concepts as affordable prefabricated housing that would help rebuild cities after World War I came to an end. The floor plans of the proposed housing consisted of open space, leaving out obstructive support poles, freeing exterior and interior walls from the usual structural constraints. This design system became the backbone for most of Le Corbusier’s architecture for the next 10 years.
With these thoughts in mind, the pair published the book Après le cubisme (After Cubism), an anti-cubism manifesto, and established a new artistic movement called purism. In 1920, the pair, along with poet Paul Dermée, established the purist journal L’Esprit Nouveau (The New Spirit), an avant-garde review.
In the first issue of the new publication, Charles-Edouard Jeanneret took on the pseudonym Le Corbusier, an alteration of his grandfather’s last name, to reflect his belief that anyone could reinvent himself. Also, adopting a single name to represent oneself artistically was particularly en vogue at the time, especially in Paris, and Le Corbusier wanted to create a persona that could keep separate his critical writing from his work as a painter and architect.
In the pages of L’Esprit Nouveau, the three men railed against past artistic and architectural movements, such as those embracing elaborate nonstructural (that is, nonfunctional) decoration, and defended Le Corbusier’s new style of functionalism.
In 1923, Le Corbusier published Vers une Architecture (Toward a New Architecture), which collected his polemical writing from L’Esprit Nouveau. In the book are such famous Le Corbusier declarations as “a house is a machine for living in” and “a curved street is a donkey track; a straight street, a road for men.”
In an accompanying diagram to the design, the city in which Citrohan would rest featured green parks and gardens at the feet of clusters of skyscrapers, an idea that would come to define urban planning in years to come.
Soon Le Corbusier’s social ideals and structural design theories became a reality. In 1925-1926, he built a workers’ city of 40 houses in the style of the Citrohan house at Pessac, near Bordeaux. Unfortunately, the chosen design and colors provoked hostility on the part of authorities, who refused to route the public water supply to the complex, and for six years the buildings sat uninhabited.
At the end of the 1930s and through the end of World War II, Le Corbusier kept busy with creating such famous projects as the proposed master plans for the cities of Algiers and Buenos Aires, and using government connections to implement his ideas for eventual reconstruction, all to no avail.
Chateau de Villette, built in the XVII century and designated as one of the most important historical Chateau in France, is located approx. 40 minutes west of Paris. The Chateau was designed by Francois Mansart (1598-1666) for the Count of Aufflay, Jean Dyell II, who served as ambassador to Italy for Louis XIV. The construction was led by Jules Hardouin-Mansart (1646-1708), nephew of François Mansart and a lead architect for Louis XIV. The splendid gardens were designed by Andre Le Notre, who also created the gardens at Versailles. The pedigree and elegance of classic design, brought by him, earned Chateau de Villette the designation of “Le Petit Versailles”.
Chateau de Villette is set in a French woodland style park of 75ha, located in Condecourt.
Over the last few years the Chateau, its gardens together with two lakes, 16th century pressoire à vin, the magnificent cascade fountain, the glass house and the orangery has been renovated to the highest standards of comfort and luxury by the famous French decorator Jacques Garcia.
Chateau de Villette offers the accommodation in its seven luxury suites in the main wing and seven additional bedrooms in the left wing.
Chateau de Villette is also an ideal venue for any kind of events, weddings and seminars.